Saturday, January 17, 2009

Success Online Starts From Within

To succeed online, there are many skills that you need to possess. Some are the so-called hard skills - like being tech savvy on the computer, and some are the soft skills like mindset training. Often times, people seem to think you can get by having one and not the other, but I don't subscribe to that argument. I think you need to possess a combination of the two. Without good mindset training, I don't think you can have the internal fortitude to drive through the hard times that all internet marketers face now and then. You need that optimistic, success-minded approach that mindset training teaches. Alternatively, if you can't figure out the hard skills like how to use your email account, then I don't think the mindset skills alone are going to save you either. The fact is, you need them both.


That said, I believe that success must first come from within. I know that sounds cliché, but the life of an entrepreneur is filled with challenges, which can be difficult to overcome if you lack the right philosophy. To succeed online, I think the first thing you need to understand is that it's not about “getting” but rather about “giving.” Your philosophy as an internet marketer should be to consciously be adding value in whatever you do. Be generous in the giving of your knowledge, so that others will see you as a person of resource. If you do this, you will always have a steady stream of new prospects. Too many people have a “me first” attitude, whereby they are constantly selling their product or business upfront. This is the caveman way of doing business online. Top-tier marketers know that success results from being seen as a valuable resource by the marketplace, which is done by embracing a solid personal philosophy, constant self-education and generosity in the sharing of information.

My advice to someone just starting out as an internet marketer is to concentrate 100% on adding value for your prospects. If you focus on your financial number like, “I gotta earn 10 grand by April 1st or this year's a bust”, then you're not going about it right. Forget about a financial number, and instead make a commitment to become more knowledgeable, and then share your knowledge with your prospects. I think if you have the mindset of adding value and developing your own personal disciplines, then financial success will come to you. Finally, I will end by saying that although I think I do have a strong personal philosophy and mindset, there are definitely days where I can feel negative, and that's when I remember that we have to be thankful for what we already have. That's the key, if you're thankful for what you already have, then you can absorb the bumps along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Comments